sobota, 22 lutego 2014

Interviev with a Vampire (Happyhours who took 3rd place in III International OCTGN Tournament)


Germanus: Congratulations for taking 3rd place in III International OCTGN Tournament. This is a good result for you or are you disappointed ?

Happyhours : Of course, it's a good result : I had made this deck a few days before the tournament beguns, and had no time to make a real playtest. I can thank Djibi, by the way, who convinced me to play it – I made this combo deck for fun before he made me realizing how fast and powerful it could be.

Germanus: Why do you play via Internet? What is good in this form of the game?

Happyhours : To find players ! Concerning Warhammer, as many other games, Internet is the only place where you can really play, learn and put your game to the test. Sure, it's less convivial than playing live with your board and some pints of beer, but at least you can play almost every day if you want to and have time to do it. That's also the better way to confront different metas, pick some fresh ideas and play differently. Last but not least, OCTGN is a great software which improves constantly.

Germanus: You played the well-known combo Summons of Chaos + Reap What Sown on Undead capital. Although  in other countries this combo will be stopped by national's FAQ, could you tell us how to fight back at it.

Happyhours : There are a lot of ways, actually, but the main difficulty was that the combo wasn't meta in this tournament and is sometimes too quick to have time to get your counters. The most efficient way is playing desertion that kills actually any undead deck. So if you play from some place where nobody accepts to make unofficial FAQ, in order to fight back at it you just play desertion x3, at least x2. There is also Corb Polyglob, Long winter, all cards for bounce, or the Mages of loec to counter it.

Germanus: Your nemesis was Crux, who has won against you twice. Why his deck was so good against you?

Happyhours : First of all, his deck was great, independent of the match-up. He can attack quick, build pretty fast a strong economy, protect his units, and has a lot of options for control (Elite von Osterknacht, Called back, Rodrik's Raiders, Infiltrate, Iron discipline, and Desertion). That's the difference with the other decks I played against : strong control with rapidity. Against this type of decks I really need Vlad von Carstein and Remote Monaestery in play before my opponent can burn a zone (and hope for no Desertion). If I can't, he has everything on his deck to control me and counter all attempts to draw more cards. I also made two terrible mistakes during last round, but even if I didn’t, it wouldn't change anything on the result. Empire is really a good faction against combo decks, especially this one, and Crux made the best of it.

Germanus: Which game will be longer in your memory after this tournament ? 

Happyhours : My first game against Pawell, because I managed to make my most crazy move on tournament, and turn a sure defeat into a win. I had Vlad in play, but he already burned a zone. He attacks my battlefield and bounces my defender for a second burn. I had Danse Macabre in hand, but not enough undead units in the discard pile. I desperately searched for the way to survive, and found this one : with innovation, I can go to 4 resources. Then, I play Danse Macabre on an attacker ; in response, I play Arcane Power ; in response, I play Reap what show for 1. Doing this, I have to throw my all hand (with combo cards), but I get back Warpstone experiment, two more cards, and when we resolve Danse macabre, there are enough units on discard ! The unit is destroyed (a Tunnel Fighter, I think), so I'm alive, at 1 damage to burn, 1 damage to lose. Next turn, I play Warpstone experiment on my unit in quest to have a huge draw, get fresh combo cards, and win.

Germanus: Will you play in the next OCTGN Tournament?

Happyhours : With pleasure !

Germanus: Thank you for this interview and see you in the virtual world. 

Happyhours : Thank you for the organization – at this point, you're the keystone of the international community !  See you in the old world.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz